Doula Workshop Training
“DONA” APPROVED BIRTH DOULA WORKSHOP
February 8-10, 2019
April 26-28, 2019
October 4-6, 2019
December 6-8, 2019
For More Information, Contact:
DOULAS… WHAT ARE THEY?
In times gone by, women of the community usually neighbors, relatives or friends would gather around the birthing woman and lend their experienced hands. These women today, known as doulas, provide nurturing, emotional and physical support that enables a birthing woman to reach deep within herself and bring forth life.
The technological decade of the 70’s began a steady increase in cesarean deliveries and by the 1980’s the national average was 26% in the US. Today the rate is nearly 30% and climbing. In the 90’s there was an increased use of doulas that came into the scenario and has since provided an option to women hoping to avoid the cesarean and high tech birth experience. Doulas can make that difference. Birth in the new millennium will not go without its challenges; however doulas are here to stay and have proved to be beneficial.
BACK TO THE BASICS:
THE WORK OF THE DOULA
• Understands the relationship dynamics of the laboring woman and her partner and helps them meet their individual needs.
• Provides ongoing emotional, physical support that enables mom to trust her instincts and do what she feels best.
• Provides objectivity while helping mom and partner gather information for decision-making.
• Keeps lines of communication open with clinical staff to facilitate a positive birthing relationship.
THIS “DONA” APPROVED WORKSHOP
Workshop is designed to assist participants in becoming professional labor support providers-doulas. During this intensive training, the psychological and physiological processes associated with labor, birth and postpartum period will be discussed. Participants will learn how to enable women and their partners to cope with the complications in pregnancy, labor and early postpartum. The doula’s scope of practice and ethical standards will also be described. Practical tips on getting started as a doula and/or beginning a doula practice will be provided.
• Introduction to Labor Support
• DONA International
• Prenatal Support and Doula Business
• Support in Labor
• Comfort Measures
• Challenging Childbirth
• Newborn and Breastfeeding
• Postpartum Support
WHO IS THIS WORKSHOP FOR?
Childbirth educators, L&D nurses, midwifery students, massage therapists, Hypnotherapists, or anyone who desires to support a laboring woman and her partner during this incredible passage.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW PRIOR TO THE WORKSHOP?
• Physiology of pregnancy, birth postpartum and breastfeeding.
• Medical terminology as it relates to labor and birth.
• Common practice of tests, procedures, and interventions their risks and benefits before during and after birth.
• Options in pain medications their use and effects (pros and cons).
• The cesarean birth; why it is sometimes necessary (or not).
• Normal appearance of the newborn.
• Basic relaxation techniques, appropriate breathing style and comfort measures that are beneficial.
“DONA” CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
• Be a member of DONA.
• Required reading from DONA list.
• Complete one of the following:
a) Training in childbirth education or midwifery.
b) Nurses with work experience on labor and delivery
c) Observe a childbirth education series (not as an expectant parent)
• Attend a DONA approved Birth Doula Workshop.
• Documentation and evaluations from at least 3 births
• Written Essay
• Create a community resource list
It is strongly recommended that prior to the workshop you read:
The Birth Partner 4th edition
by Penny Simkin
(as you would like it to appear on name tag)
HOME PHONE ________________________
WORK PHONE ________________________
WORKSHOP DATES ___________________
REGISTRATION FEE: $450.00
• Space is limited so early registration is encouraged!
• Registration fee includes workshop, materials, meals and snacks.
• Payment is non-refundable although you may send someone in your place.
• You will receive a confirmation email/letter with directions to the gathering.
• Cash, Check, and Major Credit cards are accepted.
• Please send this form along with your registration fee to:
Your Birth Connection
60 Washington St.
Brewer, ME 04412